Friday, September 19, 2008

Scans Amuck! And an additional diagnosis

This week has been full of scans, IVs, isotopes, "hold that position for 30 minutes...", "40 minutes...", "20 minutes...", "drink this tasty contrast smoothie", "oh, I found you, drink this second contrast smoothie", "yes, it's not a joke, finish the rest of this smoothie".

On Wednesday, I had a PET scan at St. Vincent's Hospital. I was only able to eat meat on Tuesday and nothing Wednesday before my 10:00 AM appointment. No medicine this morning. No Metformin (diabetes medicine) Tuesday evening. A smart tech doesn't try to put the IV into my right arm and goes straight for my hand. He put some isotopes in me and told me to take a nap with a warm blankie. About 30-40 minutes later, he came for me and we did the scans. The isotopes absorb into my cells, but absorb into cancerous cells faster and my cancer locations show up like Christmas lights in the resulting scan.

On Thursday, I didn't take my medicine again in the morning and didn't eat, which I would be glad for later. On this day, at Newberg Providence Hospital, I had an MRI of my head/brian and then a CT scan of my torso. Please don't ask which torso. :)

The gal insisted on putting an IV in my right arm vein, and in fact tried unsuccessfully to do this. She is the third person over the previous 3 or 4 IVs that has dug my arm apart. They decide to get another hot shot with a needle and this guy came down and was finally able to get a vein. They took MRI shots of my head, and then shot me full of some isotope stuff and shot up my head again. The gal then told me to get dressed and ask the receptionist in the imaging lobby for my contrast smoothie, which I would need for my CT scan.

I walked out to the lobby, and the smoothie gal giggled when she saw me, and before I could even ask her, she had sprung up to get me this scary contrast smoothie that was supposed to taste like berries. I asked her if it was nasty and she smiled and handed me a straw. I ended up gulping the 16 oz cup down and was glad when it was finally gone. I had been sitting doing a jigsaw puzzle in the lobby, waiting to be called for the CT scan and about 30 minutes after the first cup, she tracks me down and hands me my surprise second 16 oz cup of "tasty" smoothie. This time, I also drink it as quickly as possible and am glad that I haven't eaten yet. I was full of "tasty" smoothie and wasn't amused. About 30 minutes later, the CT tech gal came out for me, swinging the remainder of a bottle of "tasty" smoothie and I tell her that she must be joking. They all think they are funny there. I finish it off quickly, get dressed down again and lay still for the next 15 minutes. By far my least discomforting scan. At one point, the CT gal power-pushed another type of isotope-radiative stuff into my IV. As I was leaving, she informed me that I couldn't take my Metformin for another 48 hours. Will anything ever be normal again?

Today is Friday and this morning, mom, Lori and I went to see Dr. Hansen, my radiation oncologist at St. Vincent's. As we were waiting in the examining room, I commented that he was probably going to want to examine my forehead. He would ask me to get into the stirrups on the examining table and then he'd put on his long green arm sleeve. Later, when he was giving me a physical examination, he rolled his chair in front of mine and told me was going to start with my forehead and I started to giggle. He asked me if I was ticklish and I just said that we'd made a forehead joke earlier.

Dr. Hansen had received the scans done this week and the previous day had spoken with the Radialogist about the results. They have located my supposed primary cancer spot. There is a carcinoid about a quarter in diameter (I don't know how long) that is in the mesentary surrounding my intestines. The mesentary is the lining that holds my inner parts to my abdominal wall. No cancer in my brain, lungs, liver, kidneys or other major organ. That's a good thing. It might require a surgical removal, but that will be up to Dr. Patil.

Dr. Hansen wanted me to get an additional MRI of my whole left humorus bone so he would know exactly how much to radiate. He is also ordering an entirely new scan, the Octreotide scan, which is supposed to be more accurate than a PET, MRI or CT scan. These two scans will happen next week. Dr. Hansen will call me next week with the results. On Friday, Sept 26, I go to see Dr. Patil, my original oncologist, who will divulge what my primary cancer site treatment will be (I hope). Radiation will be 10 treatments over 2 weeks, but won't start for about 2 more weeks.

At this point, I have no idea about anything else. I didn't expect to be told any results today, but everyone seemed pleased with them and we celebrated with breakfast at Denny's. Then I went back to work. I'm tired of people digging for veins that delight in hiding, holding still in painful positions for untold minutes, and of fasting and not taking my meds. But at least the doctor didn't green arm me to examine my forehead.

23 comments:

colleen said...

I should clarify that the carcinoid is about the diameter of a quarter.

Whitney R said...

Wow. That's a lot of scans. I'm so so so glad that Aunt Lori and Grandma are there with you. I really do wish I could be too. I'm glad they have found the source, because that means they can get rid of every single bit of it. I really do hope you know that we are constantly thinking of you.


I wonder what the smoothies tasted like... I like smoothies.

Misti said...

I wonder, will you ever like smoothies again?

Anonymous said...

Oh does this mean we wont have to dress up the post hole as you this summer for the weddings? Maybe you can just carry it around with you...

Lena Gilbert said...

I'm glad that's all they found! I use to give people delicious berry smoothies to drink and they always smelled awful. Very powdery and nauseating. They never looked like they were very tasty.

Miss Lovely's Musings said...

At least you are getting some answers, and hallelujiah it is only a small site.

You will beat this.

Auntie Sue

Miss Lovely's Musings said...

Colleen, is the Ocreotide scan for you arm?

colleen said...

The octreotide scan is another whole body scan. There were some questionable sites (lymph nodes) that they wanted to verify. The additional MRI is to scan my entire left humerus bone plus my elbow, because the original scan only went part way up. He wants to make sure of my arm site, that it isn't in more of that bone. I'm bringing the post hole digger to my next scan.

Anonymous said...

Mom and I were so happy that Colleen isn't going to die, and poor Colleen could only think about "Oh no, more scans and surgery to come".... What is she thinking, doesn't she know that this isn't all about her??? (Sure Colleen says, YOU drink the tasty smoothie and and let people dig around in your veins with an ice pick!)I'll have to go pull a weed or two for pentence.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Sue, Collen can not only beat it, she can whip it, whip it good!

Miss Lovely's Musings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
colleen said...

Lori, did you post an expletive and then delete it at the last minute?

Anonymous said...

LOL, I thought that you had, then Mom made you deleat it. *G*

Miss Lovely's Musings said...

LOL!!! I tried to send the video of Dagan dancing to "Whip It', but it doesn't accept videos.

And I probably swore a little too.Ya never know!

colleen said...

It was probably a video of Dagan cussing like a little sailor.

susan said...

Funny you should mention that since two of his four words are shiiiiiiit and suuuuuuucks.

susan said...

Wedding pictures are up at my Muse of the Moment blog.

Miss Lovely's Musings said...

Colleen, I am your mother's sister, NOT your sister's mother!

colleen said...

Did my aunt susan just called my mommy a twisted sister? Well, that twisted sister just made me a delicious pot roast dinner, cleaned my kitchen and did my laundry. I'm so happy with my twisted mommy.

Miss Lovely's Musings said...

I love roast, and your mom is the best cook I know. I'll be right over!

Anonymous said...

after a couple of weeks of Mom being so nice to Colleen, Colleen will say,"Psych! I don't have cancer, I just needed some extra special Mommy time."

Nathan Stephanie Gilbert Family said...

So Colleen when grandma is done there send her my way steph has somthing growing in her living on her nutrients, so I think we need one of those get better roasts that you just had.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nathon!!!!----WE can always do some fried chicken when I come up, it probably isn't as good as Grandma's, but my kids don't complain. :) I'll bring my big electric fry pan and the Crisco.