Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Taming of Trogdor

I'm all healed up from the surgery, with only the holes left that I was born with. I've been back to work successfully since January 2. Yesterday, I received my second monthly butt shot, and it was good.

I began to see improvements in my symptoms after the first one a month ago, and when Dr. Patil asked about it, I told "Yes, I am seeing improvement". Then he said "Reeaaalllyyyy????" And I said "Yes, Really!" And we both smiled. Then he wanted to hear all the details, but since they involve bowel movements, I won't go there. Unless you really want me to.

I two weeks ago, I did a 24 hour urine catch for the test they use to verify carcinoid, and it actually came out negative. Not because I have no more carcinoid, but because Dr. Patil says that I'm very atypical. Just one more way to beat my sister Lori out of the strange and unusual medical wonders! The only actual proof we have that this is what it is, came from the surgery, where Dr. Wolf was able to get samples.

The other atypical things are that the Octreotide scan I had last fall, which was supposed to light up like a Christmas tree from the carcinoid markers, didn't. It was faint at best. My elbow, where it was originally discovered, shouldn't have been a metastatic location. A person's extremeties are too cold for metastases to occur. It usually takes place up in the shoulder.

HOWEVER, it appears that Trogdor is finally behaving itself. And guess what? I get to go to work today! Isn't life grand!

1 comment:

Victoria Gilbert said...

good job taming trogdor!! I'm so happy the treatments are going well and you're hopefully on the mend! YAY!!! :)